LISTEN: Rep. Waters Outlines Coronavirus Relief Package During 2nd Telephone Town Hall
LOS ANGELES – Congresswoman Maxine Waters (CA-43), Chair of the House Financial Services Committee, was joined by more than 15,000 concerned residents during her second 43rd District Telephone Town Hall discussing the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic on Thursday, April 2.
During the call, Congresswoman Waters outlined the recently passed Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security(CARES) Act, which includes unprecedented funding for programs and services that would benefit working families and small businesses during the crisis, such as direct cash payments of up to $1200 for adults and $500 for children; dramatically expanded unemployment benefits; $375 billion for small business relief; and emergency housing assistance for renters and homeowners. She was joined by representatives from the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, the IRS, the Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles, the Small Business Administration, and her Financial Services Committee staff who answered audience questions about the implementation of the CARES Act and how residents could apply for the resources provided by the bill.
“I am so pleased by the strong level of participation in our second 43rd District telephone town hall meeting discussing the coronavirus pandemic. During this unprecedented time of crisis, I am doing everything in my power to not only fight for policies that will provide relief for those who are in need of government assistance, but to also educate my constituents about the opportunities and resources that have been legislated by Congress on their behalf,” said Congresswoman Waters.
Congresswoman Waters’ telephone town hall panel included Los Angeles County Department of Public Health Regional Health Officer, Dr. Silvia Prieto; IRS Congressional District Liaison, Anabel Marquez; Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles Staff Attorney, Matthew Clark; and Small Business Administration District Administrator, Victor Parker.
The audio from the call can be found here.
The resources shared on the call include:
- LA County Department of Public Health Updates: http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/media/Coronavirus/
- IRS Direct Cash Payments Details: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know
- Unemployment Assistance for California Residents: https://www.edd.ca.gov/About_EDD/pdf/news-20-09.pdf
- Small Business Administration Resources: https://www.sba.gov/funding-programs/loans/coronavirus-relief-options
- Information for Renters, Homeowners, and those Experiencing Homelessness:https://financialservices.house.gov/uploadedfiles/frequently_asked_questions_about_the_federal_response_to_the_coronavirus.pdf
# # #